Hi, I’m Josh Johnson. I’m a software developer living in Raleigh-Durham, NC. Most people don’t call it that but I actually live in two zipcodes. It’s weird. My congressional district changes pretty much every voting cycle.
I love creating software for Mac and iOS. For years I wrote software for Windows and the Web, but when the iPhone was introduced in 2007 I dusted off my old 12” PowerBook and started learning Cocoa. I’ve worked with many teams building iOS apps, led teams of iOS developers at Two Toasters (later Ticketmaster), and I’m the organizer of Triangle CocoaHeads and NSCoder Nights and occasionally speak at conferences about Cocoa development. Now I’m working with the team at Grubhub working on the iOS Diner app.
In my spare time, I’ve started doing more photography and some more filmmaking. I’m learning German and Japanese (and dabbling in Ukrainian). I also really enjoy cooking and keyboards. I’m basically a nerd that has too many interests and spend a lot of my time trying to prioritize them. I watch too much content on YouTube.
- May: Started learning Japanese 🇯🇵
- Relaunched One Charge Trips as a YouTube channel
- Built a new web portfolio for aravind.media.
- Worked on production and post-production on Aravind Ragupathi’s short film, “8:46”.
- Joined Grubhub as an iOS Team Lead.
- Started One Charge Trips making trips from our home to nearby areas on a single charge of our electric vehicles.
- Speaker at two local meetups—a “meetup crossover”—CocoaHeads and TriDroid talking about Cross Platform development.
- Joined Highrise as Lead Mobile Developer.
- Relaunched CocoaHeads.TV.
- Joined BA3 as Senior Software Developer.
- Speaker at 360|iDev about being a manager.
- Two Toasters acquired by Ticketmaster; continued leading the new Ticketmaster Mobile Studio development team.
- Started leading the iOS (and later Android) team at Two Toasters as Director of Development.
- Switched to the Dvorak Keyboard Layout quickly and began tracking speed.
- Launched CocoaHeads.TV to share CocoaHeads meetup videos from groups around the world.
- Shipped iOS App for the Bad Movie Podcast.
- Speaker at CocoaConf Raleigh
- Joined Two Toasters as Senior iOS Developer.
- Started CocoaHeads Raleigh after attending NSConference Atlanta.
- Speaker at Autodesk University in Las Vegas about AutoCAD for Mac.
- iOS App Icon featured in in-store Christmas display.
- Shipped iAdvent for iPhone.
- Shipped RealPass for iPhone.
- Joined Captive-Aire Systems as a Sr. Software Engineer building an automated drawing web service using RealDWG in C#; front-end web development in ASP.NET; designed and built iPhone, iPad, and Mac apps in Objective-C.
- Registered jnjosh.com
- Started Guest Blogger with my wife, a website meant to connect bloggers with people interested in writing guest posts.
- Started Cinekids TV—a movie review web series—with my kids.
- Directed a short film “How to Be a Girl” and was selected to play at Carrboro Film Festival.
- Directed live TV show “Hardcore Live” on Raleigh Public Access featuring the best of the local music scene.
- Comtrex acquired by Avatach Solutions, continue building custom automation for AutoCAD using C#, VB/VBA, C++/ObjectARX.
- Rejoined Comtrex as a Software Developer building AutoCAD automation (in C++, AutoLISP, J++, and .NET) and web-based sales tools (in PHP).
- Joined McGee Corp as a Junior Programmer building automated drawing applications for AutoCAD.
- Joined Comtrex as an Applications Engineer providing support and building custom AutoCAD applications in AutoLISP, VB, and C++ with ObjectARX.